Monday 2 December 2013

Last Few Weeks

Sorry I haven't updated this for a while it's been a bit mad here!

Unfortunately my Grandad Christopher Kehoe lost his fight against lung cancer on the 17th November at around 9:40am - he went peacefully in his sleep at Our Lady's Hospice in Blackrock, Dublin.

Now I could sit here and talk to you all day about my Grandad as we were so close but I wouldn't know where to begin. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement and I can't help but feel a great sadness even though it is nearly 2 weeks on since his passing.

Since we last left Dublin at the hospital he was transferred to a hospice with the help and advice of the palliative care nurses at St Vincent's Hospital - even towards the end he was smiling and looked very at peace.

It hurts me to say he isn't going to be physically here to witness his 2nd great grandchild but I know he isn't suffering anymore and will be watching over us from above.

We went over to Ireland (Myself, Katherine, Mum & Brent) on the 18th to organise funeral/burial proceedings and to comfort my Nanny.

He was buried on the Thursday with a lovely service and I had the honour of a small reading and carrying his coffin taking him to his final stop in his journey - this was important to me and he would have been beaming a smile down nursing a whiskey!

Unfortunately I broke my toe the day before (long story) but nothing was going to stop me carrying him.

I couldn't have asked for a better service and to be so heavily involved has helped me cope a little bit better - we managed to pick a lovely plot too at Dardistown Cemetery near the airport, Grandad loved planes and retired working for British Airways.

The wake after was lovely too, seeing everyone's faces light up at the sight of Katherine's bump and bringing some happiness to a somewhat sad day.

So this is to you Grandad, my hero, my best friend...I will miss you forever.

Until we meet again someday..xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment